One of our big summer adventures was a trip to San Diego. First we headed to Carlsbad to stay at the LEGOLAND hotel, then a few days later we headed to SeaWorld San Diego! It was Quinn and Elliot’s first visit and they had a blast. As we left they wanted to know when we could go back and visit again. It had been at least 7 years since our last visit so we are definitely ready to plan another trip! We learned a few things on our recent visit, so I wanted to share a few SeaWorld tips to help you plan a visit too!
1. Go in the off-season. Seriously, the summer season is hot and crowded. If you can’t avoid the summer then go midweek. We went on a Saturday in June. While we did have fun, I was reminded why I prefer visiting most places in the off-season.
2. Don’t use your iPhone for directions. San Diego does a pretty good job directing you to SeaWorld with signs once you’re in the Mission Beach area. I’m pretty sure Siri has never been to San Diego.
3. Buy your tickets before you arrive. Have turnstile tickets in hand in order to avoid long lines to buy or pick up tickets at will call.
4. Plan your day around the shows you’d like to see. Arrive early at each show to claim seats, some venues fill up. The boys really wanted to see the new show Madagascar Live but they had to turn people away, we didn’t realize it would be so popular. Duh.
5. Bring a hat and lots of sunscreen. Even in cooler months. The sun can be brutal and some areas of SeaWorld have limited shade, including the shows! There are a few ways to cool off though including indoor attractions like the Penguin or Shark Encounters.
6. Consider the All Dining Deal. If you plan on eating both lunch and dinner at Sea World, do the math it might make sense. On our next trip we plan on staying nearby so we can return in the evening for dinner and nighttime fun. I think the all day dining deal would make sense for us then.
7. Buy a refillable drink cup, it’s pricey (about $8), but then refills are only $1. Don’t worry, we definitely drank our money’s worth. 😉
8. We brought a few snacks in but bought lunch at SeaWorld. If you want to bring your own lunch and skip the expense, get your hand stamped and use the picnic areas just outside the entrance gates.
9. Bring swim suits or an extra set of clothes for the kids. Sesame Street’s Bay of Play is an awesome break to cool down and let loose!
10. I’m leaving #10 for you…
What’s your tip when visiting SeaWorld?
Disclosure: My family was provided media admission to SeaWorld. As always, all thoughts and opinions are my own.