Beef and Broccoli is one of our family favorite options when ordering Chinese food. It seems healthier since the meat isn’t breaded and it includes a generous serving of veggies. The seemingly simple dish was an obvious choice for our next Instant Pot adventure. If you are a beef fan, don’t miss our Instant Pot Beef Stew – it’s delicious too!
There are already Beef and Broccoli Instant Pot recipes out there but we used several different recipes (including some traditional cooking method options) as inspiration to make our own. The choices we made were based on personal preferences and what we had on hand. It turned out fantastic!
Instant Pot Beef and Broccoli Ingredients
- ~ 1 & 1/2 lbs top round sirloin cut into strips
- 4 tablespoons soy sauce
- 4 tablespoons Chinese rice wine (Shaoxing style)
- 2 teaspoon corn starch
- 1/4 cup oyster sauce
- 1 cup beef broth
- 2 tablespoon sbrown sugar
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 white onion finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon finely minced fresh ginger
- olive oil
- ~ 1 lb broccoli florets
Instant Pot Beef and Broccoli Directions
- Marinate beef with 1 tablespoon soy sauce and 1 tablespoon wine for 1 hour in the fridge. Prep rest of ingredients while it marinates
- Make beef & broccoli sauce. Combine 3 tablespoons soy sauce with cornstarch and mix until it dissolves. Then add 3 tablespoons of wine, oyster sauce, beef broth, brown sugar, sesame oil and set aside.
- Chop onion, ginger, and garlic and set aside.
- Once the marinating is done, add oil to the Instant Pot on sauté and brown the beef. Remove beef and set aside.
- Add more oil to the pot and sauté onion until translucent and then add garlic and ginger and sauté for about a minute.
- Add beef & broccoli sauce and beef to the Instant Pot. Cook on high pressure for 12 minutes (Manual mode).
- Once done, use the quick release pressure valve. Open the lid and add broccoli florets. Return pressure release valve to sealing mode. Select steam mode and reduce time to “0” minutes. Basically, the broccoli steams in the time it takes for the Instant Pot to heat back up to “steam” mode.
- Once the steam mode is complete, do a quick pressure release again. Serve Beef & Broccoli over rice or noodles.
Honestly, I wanted a simpler recipe with only 3 ingredients. I love those super simple recipes. But to get a really good beef and broccoli flavor, I think all these ingredients are necessary. It’s worth picking up a few extra ingredients to keep on hand, this recipe is fast and way cheaper than takeout! Plus the beef turned out way more tender.