Last week was a big birthday week in our house. Peter sort of loses out on the whole deal since his birthday is a day before Quinn’s. I decided to surprise him with a homemade ice cream cake to make his day a little more special. And as much as I L.O.V.E. my peppermint ice cream cake creation, his favorite flavors run more along the peanut butter & chocolate varieties.
My DIY ice cream cakes are so easy especially when using a cake mix. Surprisingly peanut butter is not a common cake flavor. I was feeling especially domestic last week so decided to make my own peanut butter cake! And it turned out awesome.
Seriously I shocked myself.
I did make it a little healthier using yogurt, bananas and Splenda brown sugar. The result was a moist cake that was delicious.
Peanut Butter Banana Cake Ingredients
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 5 tbsp. margarine
- 2 ½ tbsp. plain low-fat yogurt
- 1/2 cup crunchy peanut butter
- 1 cup Splenda Brown Sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 bananas
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 cup nonfat milk
1. Preheat the oven to 350.
2. Mix together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
3. Using a stand mixer blend the margarine, yogurt and the peanut butter together until smooth.
4. Add in the brown sugar.
5. Add the eggs and bananas one at a time, making sure each is mixed well before adding the next.
6. Add the vanilla.
7. On a low speed, mix in ½ of flour mixture. Then mix in milk. Then add remaining flour mixture and mix.
8. Pour batter into two 9” greased pans and bake for 30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
9. Let them cool completely before frosting ~ 1 hour.
I kept the cake decorating simple since I was really focused on the cake recipe. Chocolate frosting was the natural choice and I even made one cake a little more festive with Reese’s pieces on top.
Overall I loved how successful this recipe turned out. I might have grinned all week long! I even broke out my big Kitchen Aid mixer, I’m usually too lazy to bother.
And while I wouldn’t call any cake “healthy”, I think the inclusion of yogurt, bananas and Splenda brown sugar make this recipe a wee bit healthier!
And one side note, you can taste the banana in the recipe but it’s not overwhelming like banana bread. I am not a fan of banana bread but this cake was delicious!
What do you think? Does it look yummy?
PS it this cake worked perfect for mypeanut butter chocolate ice cream cake! Seriously Yum!!