Clearly I am a peppermint fan and look for fun ways to create peppermint treats. From chocolate peppermint cookies to peppermint ice cream cake, I MIGHT drive my family nuts. 😉 Next up on my crazy peppermint treat list is a double chocolate peppermint Chex mix!
Chex Mix, reindeer food, muddy buddies or whatever you want to call it, is so easy to make and customize to your taste. Clearly my tastes run towards peppermint and chocolate. 😉
Double Chocolate Peppermint Chex Mix
- Crush the candy canes by placing them in a zipock bag and using a rolling-pin. I actually double up the plastic bags because I’ve had candy cane pieces poke through one bag before.
- Melt the butter and chocolate chips together in the microwave until smooth. I melt 30 seconds and then stir. Be careful not to burn the chocolate, it only took 90 seconds for me.
- Remove the melted chocolate & butter from microwave and stir in peppermint extract.
- Add the chocolate mixture to the cereal and mix gently. You want to coat all the Chex cereal.
- Finally add the powdered sugar and candy cane bits and again stir gently to coat all the cereal.
- Done! 🙂
This is seriously yummy! Are you a crazy peppermint fan like me? I store it in a ziplock bag to keep it fresh. It makes a great edible gift or a treat to set out during a party. Or eat it for lunch, that might be my plan for today. 🙂
Leave a Reply