I’ve partnered with Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona today to share details of their Nourishing Arizona campaign which is dedicated to improving the health of Arizonans through healthy eating initiatives. One of those initiatives is to encourage people to shop at local farmers’ markets for fresh fruits and vegetables. So I’m sharing a few reasons why you should shop at farmers markets and also a list of where to find local options in Tucson.
7 Reasons to Shop at Farmers Markets
- Local food is fresher and likely retains more nutrients than produce shipped across the country.
- Local, in-season produce is often cheaper than produce shipped to grocery stores.
- Farmers markets often support small and midsize local farms helping your local community.
- It’s better for the environment, less packaging, and energy required to get the fruits and veggies to consumers.
- You’ll typically find more organic options at a farmers market.
- Learn about the produce. Vendors usually love talking about how they grow their food.
- Discover new varieties of produce! I often discover new things at farmers markets, things that big grocery stores don’t necessarily carry.
Farmers markets attract lots of vendors, beyond Arizona fruits and vegetables you can find flowers, eggs, honey, baked goods, bath and body products, crafts and even free-range meat. Make visiting the farmers market a family event, turn buying your produce into an adventure. Explore what’s for sale, listen to live music, eat food and socialize with your neighbors.
Are you ready to try shopping at a local farmers market? Or, are you already a “regular” at the farmers market? Before I share a list of farmers markets’ in Tucson, check out the infographic below. Part of shopping at a farmers market is eating seasonally, take a look at when the best time is to buy various fruits and veggies in Arizona.
Luckily for us, we can visit a farmers market in Tucson almost every day of the week. Below are details for local farmers markets in Tucson including when they are open!
Farmers Markets in Tucson
Santa Cruz River Farmers Market
The Santa Cruz River Farmers Market is open on Thursdays from 3PM-6PM. It’s located near Congress & Grande.
CFB Farm Stand
The CFB Farm Stand is open on Tuesdays from 8AM-12PM. It’s located at the Community Food Bank.
Trail Dust Town
Trail Dust Town Farmers Market is open on Fridays from 9AM-1PM. It’s located inside the Trail Dust Town courtyard.
Steam Pump Ranch
The Oro Valley Farmers Market is open on Saturdays from 9AM-1PM. It’s located at the Steam Pump Ranch.
The Rillito Park Farmers Market is open on Sundays from 9AM-1PM. It’s located along The Loop bike trail in Rillito Park making it easy to stop by while on a bike ride.
Green Valley Village
Green Valley Village Farmers & Artisans Market is open on Wednesdays from 9AM-1PM. It’s located in the Green Valley Village Shopping Center.