Quinn’s big 3rd birthday was yesterday and we have a bigger, extended family party scheduled for next weekend.
However I did want to celebrate on his actual birthday too. So I made him a special ice cream cake!
I learned how to do this last year from my SIL’s mom, Trish! Seriously it’s super easy and if I can do it, so can you! 😉
Basically it requires 4 main ingediats: a cake mix, 1/2 gallon of ice cream, ice cream topping and ice cream mix in. The flavors you choose are up to you! The sky’s the limit!
Quinn’s cake combination was white cake, vanilla ice cream, caramel syrup and M&Ms (Quinn’s favorite candy)!
- First bake the cake making 2 round cakes. <– you only use one, so the 2nd cake is a bonus cake! 🙂
- After the cake cools, place it on a plate and put the spring form around it. Use a plate vs the spring form bottom because otherwise you will leak ice cream in your freezer. <— Sticky!
- Then place 1/2 the ice cream in a bowl and let is soften.
4. After the ice cream is softened, spread it like frosting all over the top of the cake.
5. Then drizzle 1/2 the topping and 1/2 the mix in over the top. The exact amount is up to you, more yummy or less yummy it is up to you!
6. Pop the whole thing into freezer. It will start to melt fairly quickly, so you want to do the steps above fairly quickly.
After a couple hours (when 1st layer is frozen and fairly solid). Pull it out and redo steps 3-6!
After the whole cake is frozen, it is ready to go! Now wasn’t that easy?? Just remember to pull it out a few minutes or so before you want to serve, so it can soften up.
Was it Yummy??? Quinn loved it!!
So how did do it for $1???
I already had the cake mix and ice cream, both bought for free combing coupons and sales!!
I managed to snag the M&M’s at CVS for free by rolling them into a deal and using my CVS $ to buy them. All I had to buy was the caramel ice cream sauce and it was $1!!!
That is how we had a $1 ice cream cake!
No time to wait for a killer deal on the ingredients? I bet you could easily get them all for about $10 with regular grocery sales!
That sure beats a $30+ ice cream cake, plus you can make it with ANY flavors you want!!! WOO HOO! 🙂
If you are curious about my 1st attempt at ice cream cake, here ya go!