Christmas lights on Cacti is my favorite holiday display, so I am excited to share this free printable Christmas card with you. It’s a cactus Christmas card craft.
Christmas Cactus Card
I am a big fan of Christmas lights on cacti particularly a Saguaro cactus. It’s a very Arizona thing to do. Many people have cacti in their front yard, so it makes sense that they will decorate them. The easy thing to do is to plop a Santa hat on the top and call it done.
The super festive desert yards include Saguaro wrapped up in twinkling lights. My favorite house to visit during the holidays has a dozen Saguaro cacti all lit up for Christmas.
DIY Christmas Card Materials
So in honor of my favorite desert holiday decor, I am sharing this fun spinning cactus card decorated with holiday lights. This is more of a Christmas card card craft because it created an interactive 3-D card. There is more to it than just printing the card but don’t worry all the directions are on the download.
Interactive Card Tutorial
- Card Stock
- Fishing Line
- Christmas Cactus Template
- Glue Stick
- Print both sheets on card stock.
- Cut the first page in half along the dotted line. Trim any excess white margins left by the printer.
- Fold the green rectangle card in half by lining up the edges. This is your card base.
- Cut out the smaller rectangle (one with the white circle).
- Apply a small amount of glue to the back left and right edges of the smaller rectangle. Leave the top and bottom areas glue-free.
- Glue this rectangle to the inside of the card on the left. Line up the edges carefully withe the blank sides facing each other. Allow the glue to dry. Trim if necessary.
- Fold and crease the glued-together-pieces (on the left side of card) in half backwards, forming a Z-shaped fold for the card.
- Carefully cut out the circle while the pieces are folded back in half. Follow along the half circle shape.
- Cut out all the card details: cacti, the "Happy Holidays" circle, gift box and lights.
- Glue the "Happy Holidays" circle in the center of the right side of the card.
- Cut 8 inches of fishing line or clear thread.
- Center the thread in the middle of a cactus on the blank side. Glue it in place. Line up the other cactus and glue it directly on top, sandwiching the thread between the two cacti. Allow to dry.
- Carefully open the unglued sections of the top left card, at the top and bottom of the circle cut out space. Place the thread from each end of the cactus through these holes. While keeping the thread taut on each end, place a small amount of glue in the holes and press together, gluing the thread inside. Allow to dry.
- Glue additional holiday decorations to the card.
Twist the cactus in one direction several times before closing the card. This helps the cactus spin more when the card is opened.
Just print the file and follow the directions. Watch the video if you are more of a visual learner!