FYI as of July/August 2017 you no longer can trade with Jawas at Walt Disney World. We can hope this character encounter will return someday possibly to Galaxy’s Edge. The details below reflect our experience while this experience was still available at the Star Wars Launch Bay.
Disney’s Hollywood Studios has become THE place for all things Star Wars. Beyond Jedi Training and Star Tours, you will find the Star Wars Launch Bay with a multitude of cool Star Wars things to experience.
My favorite part of the new Star Wars Launch Bay at Walt Disney World? Meeting the Jawas!! Not only will they take pictures with you, but they want to trade with you too, remember Jawas are scavengers!
Why Trade With a Jawa?
Why not?!? It’s such a fun, extra character encounter beyond the standard picture opportunity that Chewbacca and Kylo Ren offer.
Where do you trade with a Jawa?
Inside Star Wars Launch Bay, head right towards the character encounters and right again bypassing the queues for Chewbacca and Kylo Ren. You will find an area staged to look like the Mos Eisley cantina, complete with blue bantha milk on the counter!
The jawas usually work in pairs and are milling around this area interacting with guests. If you don’t see them just ask, they’re likely on a break. We almost always found them when we stopped by the Star Wars Launch Bay.
What do you trade with a Jawa?
You can try and trade anything you like but they are particular little creatures. I’ve traded with jawas several times this year, hopefully, my tips below will help trade with jawas too!
How to Trade With Jawas at Star Wars Launch Bay
1. They won’t take money. The first time we tried to trade with Jawas, we were unprepared so I handed my son a quarter. The Jawa wouldn’t take it. I am guessing that’s a Disney rule 😉
2. They won’t take things they deem as trash. In fact, they may just take your trash and throw it away for you.
3. They may trade for low-value items like pens and maps (things you might have in your purse) but if they do, they will likely give you another map or pen. Not a very exciting trade but still a fun character encounter.
4. They may trade for travel size bottles of sunscreen and hand sanitizer, also things we found in my bag. I’ve also seen the Jawas refuse these types of items.
5. They do trade for Disney pins, we’ve received other Disney pins (sort of a secret pin trading experience) or build your own droid parts which my boys really like.
I don’t know if these are hard and fast rules set by Disney Parks or if it’s up to the individual Jawa. I’d bet the no money rule is true for all jawas.
I also don’t know if the same experience is available at Disneyland’s Star Wars Launch Bay. Hopefully, I get back there soon and can share my experiences with the West coast jawas.
If you love Star Wars and trading with jawas is important to you, I suggest coming prepared with something fun to trade with the jawas. Jawas prefer shiny things so that would be my recommendation, and I’ve had great luck specifically with Disney pins.
Save On Walt Disney World Tickets & Packages
I am proud to partner with Get Away Today and share their deals on Walt Disney World tickets and Orlando vacation packages. My family has booked Disney vacations through Get Away Today since I was a kid, so I know it’s a well-established travel agency. Plus they are a Select Tour Operator with Disney Parks and is approved by the Better Business Bureau. They pride themselves on saving families money and helping plan your perfect vacation.
Book online or call Get Away Today at 1-855-GET-AWAY. Mention my promo code DCHICA to get the best prices and you can even save $10 on any 2-night or longer Southern California vacation package. If your trip is a little further out you can use their layaway program and save towards your next Disney trip all year long.
Share your Jawa trading experience!
This post was originally published May, 4 2016.
Leave a Reply