Lightning McQueen is back and racing into theaters for Cars 3 on June 16th! What’s my favorite way to celebrate a fun new movie? With a cute craft or snack of course. You can’t go wrong with these Lightning McQueen graham crackers. They are adorable and fairly easy to make.
Lightning McQueen Graham Crackers Ingredients
6 graham cracker sheets
1/2 cup vanilla frosting
red food coloring
1 large white Airhead candy
6 yellow pieces of taffy or yellow tootsie rolls
12 mini Oreo cookies
black decorating gel
How to make Lightning McQueen Graham Crackers
1. Line a large cookie sheet with wax or parchment paper and set aside.
2. Place a graham cracker on a cutting board and with a knife, draw an outline of the car on the cracker. Carefully and gently, (so the cracker does not break) cut along the outline and place the cracker on the lined cookie sheet. Repeat until all of the crackers are cut into car shapes.
3. Place 1/2 cup of vanilla frosting into a bowl. Add 1-2 drops of red food coloring and mix well. Add additional coloring, if necessary, until you achieve a bright red color. Set aside.
4. For the side windows, cut a white Airhead in half, lengthwise. Cut out 6 rectangle shapes (about 1 inch long) and 6 tiny right angle triangles from the 2 strips. Set aside.
5. For the lightning bolt, firmly press down on 6 pieces of yellow taffy (or tootsie roll) to flatten each one out. With the tip of a knife or scissors (or you could even use a toothpick), trace the shape of a lightning bolt on each taffy piece and cut out each shape. You may find it easier to use small kitchen shears. Set aside.
6. Spread a thin layer of red frosting onto each car-shaped graham cracker.
7. Place a side window (rectangle piece) at the top of each car (towards the middle) and press gently into the frosting. Place the back side window (triangle piece) to the right of the larger window. Press down gently.
8. Place a yellow lightning bolt on each car with the end of the bolt almost touching the right end of each car.9. Add 2 Oreo tires to each car, one on the bottom left side and the other on the bottom right side.
9. Add 2 Oreo tires to each car, one on the bottom left side and the other on the bottom right side.
10. With the black decorator icing, pipe the number “95” on each car, to the left of the thunderbolt.
Ka-chow! You are done and ready to serve super cute Lightning McQueen graham crackers.