With the arrival of Monsters at Work on Disney+, I decided to make another batch of easy Monsters Inc Cupcakes. These cupcakes feature Sulley and Mike Wazowski’s signature colors and of course Mike’s big one eye.
They are simple to make using basic baking ingredients and the kids always love fun cupcakes with a Disney theme. My kids are older now and these are easy enough for tweens and teens to have fun making them on their own.
Easy Monsters Inc Cupcakes
The key to these fun cupcakes is Mike’s bright green color and huge eye and Sulley’s signature blue fur with purple spots.
Originally I made these Monsters Inc cupcakes for the release for Monsters University and I used ice cream cones for the base. At the time I was inspired by the vivid cones I found that coordinated with Mike and Sulley’s colors.
Unfortunately I couldn’t find those fun ice cream cones again, so I swapped them out for bright cupcake liners instead. The using a box of cake mix, homemade buttercream frosting and some basic cake decorating supplies, I whipped up a batch of Sulley and Mike Wazowski cupcakes.
Mike Wazowski Cupcakes
To make Mike Wazowski cupcakes, bake cake mix in bright green cupcake liners. I filled them with 2 scoops from my scooper. I wanted to get them as flat across the top as possible to make it easier when when adding the giant eye on top.
I frosted the Mike cupcakes bright green frosting. Then covered it it in bright green sugar crystals/sprinkles. The sprinkles are necessary for color but I think making the cupcakes extra sparkly is fun. Then I used white, green and black frosting gel to create his large eye on top of each cupcake.
They are so cute, right?! Alternatively you can skip drawing the eye on and add a cute eye cupcake topper instead.
I used both blue and purple cupcake liners for Sulley’s cupcakes. After I frosted each cupcake with a bright blue frosting I added large patches of purple sprinkles in a few areas. Then I sprinkled the top with blue sprinkles.
Monsters Inc Cupcake Recipe
Overall they were fairly easy to make and turned out cute. I’ll take it as win.
I tend to be a little hard on myself when something doesn’t turn out exactly how I envision it, like my Mike Wazowski’s eyes weren’t perfect circles but my kids loved them. They knew right away who the cupcakes were supposed to represent. That is definiltey winning in my book.
- Mix up a box of cake mix, or your own homemade recipe. Any flavor you like.
- Fill each cupcake liner about 2/3 full. The goal is a level cupcake once baked.
- Bake cupcakes according to cake mix or receipe directions.
- Wait for cupcakes to cool before decorating. Once cooled, frost cupcakes with frosting dyed green for Mike and bright blue/teal for Sulley.
- To decorate Mike Wazowski's cupcakes, frost with a bright green frosting and cover top with matching sprinkles. Using white, black and green decorating gel, draw Mike's eye on each cupcake.
- To decorate Sulley's cupcakes, frost each one with a bright blue/teal frosting. Shake on large patches of purple sugar crystal sprinkles randomly on top. Then cover the entire cupcake with light sprinkling of blue sprinkles to match the frosting.
You can see our original attempt to make these cupcakes so many years ago when my guys were still little. Clearly I can never claim to be a professional baker but the kids loved them. 😉
This post was originally published June 20, 2013.