Do you love Marvel’s new What If… series on Disney+? I have a fun Marvel craft for fans of the new Captain Carter from that series. Let’s make a Captain Carter Shield using poster board and duct tape!
Make a Marvel Craft
This Marvel craft came about because I was working on a Captain Carter costume for our annual family costume theme and visit to the Disneyland’s Halloween party, the Oogie Boogie Bash.
I found a lot of really cool and detailed Captain Marvel cosplay ideas online but no simple costume ideas or accessories to buy inexpensively. So I decided I could take a page from my Captain America shield craft and make a Captain Carter shield.
Captain Carter Shield
I used a red frisbee to create a Captain America shield for my boys when they were young. It was a great size for there little hands and easy to make by adding duct tape details.
I couldn’t use a frisbee for my Captain Carter shield though, It needed to be much bigger. I did have a size limitation though, I needed the shield to fit inside my big suitcase that I check on the airplane for my trip to the Oogie Boogie Bash with friends.
It turns out a shield about 18″ in diameter would fit inside my suitcase. This size also worked with the standard size poster board (20″X30″) I used to make the shield.
Captain Carter Supplies
The Captain Carter shield is made using a standard piece of poster board, and duct tape, lots of duct tape. I ended up using red, white, blue and standard grey duct tape for this shield craft.
You will also need scissors, a pencil, string, parchment paper, a thumb tack, a ruler, and a stapler. I also suggest you print a screen shot of Carter’s shield from the What If… show (episode 1) for reference to use while making it.
How to Make a Captain Carter Shield
Basically you will start by cutting out an 18″ circle out of poster board and added a ring of blue duct tape around the edge. Then you add a giant white duct tape circle, a smaller red duct tape circle and finally an even smaller blue circle. Then you had some strips of white and red duct tape to create the cross designed inspired by the British flag.
I’ve included detailed steps below and also suggest watching the video. I worked hard on editing and speeding up the video. I wanted to help you understand the process I used to make Captain Carter’s shield without wasting too much time.
How To Make A Captain Carter Shield
Craft a Captain Carter shield using poster board and duct tape, perfect for a Marvel super fan or Captain Carter Costume this Halloween.
- Start by cutting out a 18" circle from your poster board. Using a 9" piece of string can help you draw the right size circle.
- Measure all the edge of the circle 1.75" and mark in a few places. The outer blue edge of the shield should be 1.75" around.
- Apply strips of blue duct tape along the edge. Making sure to cover to the 1.75" marks along the edge.
- Turn the shield over and staple a a strip of duct tape folded in half lengthwise. This creates the handle on the back.
- Draw a circle with radius of 7.25" on parchment paper using a 7.25" piece of string. Add strips of white duct tape across the back of the paper, overlapping the tape slightly until the entire circle is covered.
- Turn over the parchment paper and cut out the white duct tape circle. Add it to the center of the shield.
- Repeat steps 5 & 6 and create a circle with radius of 5.5" using red duct tape.
- Repeat steps 5 & 6 and create a circle with radium of 3.75" using blue duct tape.
- Cut 2 strips of white duct tape to fit diagonal across the inner circle. Trim the edge off slightly so they're narrower than a standard strip of duct tape.
- Cut a length of red duct tape to fit across the inner circle. Cut it lengthwise in half, and then do it again. You should have red strips that are 1/4 the width of duct tape.
- Add 1 strip of duct tape across each section of the white cross, slightly off set from center to match Captain Carter's shield design.
- Cut two more strips of white duct tape to create a cross a shape on top fo the shield.
- Cut two pieces fo red duct tape to fit on top of the white cross. Trim the width of the red duct tape slightly to the white peeks out from behind it when you place the red duct tape on top.
- Cover the back of the shield in silver duct tape.
I'd recommend spray painting the back of the shield silver before starting this project.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
About Captain Carter
Captain Carter is an alternate version of Peggy Carter in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. In one episode of the new Marvel Studios What If… animated series, we see a situation where Peggy takes the super soldier serum instead of Steve Rogers during World War II.
Agent Carter of the Strategic Scientific Reserve becomes Captain Carter. Marvel Comics fans might have thought she was going to become Captain Britain (similar to Captain America) but she didn’t.
Her costume does celebrate her British heritage though with the Union Jack flag playing a key part in the design. During the What if episode, she battles Red Skull with the help of friends like Bucky Barnes and Steve wearing the Hydra Stomper armor.
Leave a Reply