I am so excited to share this super cute and relatively easy Pete’s Dragon craft! This craft is mess free with no paint or glue involved! I raided my craft stash and had everything I needed except for a green pool noodle.
This pipe cleaner based dragon also uses a pool noodle, craft foam, googly eyes and pom poms.
Pete’s Dragon Materials
- green pool noodle (~ 5″ section)
- black and green pipe cleaners
- green pom poms (small)
- green and white craft foam
- googly eyes
- glue dots
- red, yellow and orange tissue paper (optional)
Make a Pipe Cleaner Dragon
Cut short piece of green pipe cleaner for Elliot’s hair. Create his short mohawk style hair by pushing the pipe cleaners into the top of the pool noodle. I varied the colors and height to give it style. 🙂
Add ears to cute dragon pet
I used part of craft foam Christmas trees from my craft stash to make the ears. No random Christmas craft materials at your house? You could just cut a similar shape from a sheet of green craft foam.
Use scissors to make small slices on both sides of the pool noodle for Elliot’s ears. Older kids can help little dragons with this step. Fold the craft foam and insert it in, no glue necessary.
Add Elliot’s Face to your Pipe Cleaner Dragon
Use glue dots to attach googly eyes and small green pom poms for Elliot’s nostrils. A hot glue gun could be used but I think glue dots are better because less adult supervision is necessary. Then cut a small piece of black pipe cleaner to create his mouth.
Just push the mouth into to the pool noodle. I played around with the shape and size of Elliot’s teeth. I liked the look of long/skinny teeth best. Use a mini glue dot to secure each tooth.
I got crazy lucky with my package of foam Christmas trees. They worked amazingly for my dragon wings. I cut the tree in half and trimmed off a chunk from the bottom of each side (see my image up). Then I pushed a pipe cleaner through the wings into the pool noodle to attach them.
You will need to draw wings on a sheet of green craft foam if you can’t find foam Christmas trees. I LOVE when my craft stash works out in my favor!
Add Optional Fire
I couldn’t decide if I wanted Elliot to have fire or not. So I created an optional fire solution that could be easily added or removed. I stacked small pieces of red, yellow and orange tissue paper, and cut strips 1/2 down. Then I stuffed the uncut half into the center of the pool noodle. There is no need for glue or tape!
- Green pool noodle
- Black and green pipe cleaners
- Small green pom poms
- Green and white craft foam
- Googly eyes
- Glue dots
- Red, yellow and orange tissue paper
- Glue Gun (optional)
- Cut a 5" piece of green pool noodle for the head.
- Cut short pieces of green pipe cleaner 1"-3" and push each into the top of the dragon head.
- Cut green foam into dragon ears. Use a knife or scissors to make a small slice on each side of the head and insert end of the ears into each one.
- Use glue dots to attach googly eyes and pom poms to create eyes and nose.
- Attach a piece of black pipe cleaner across the front to create the dragon mouth/smile.
- Cut out teeth using white craft foam and attach using glue dots.
- Cut out dragon wings from green craft foam and attach to the end of the pool noodle using green pipe cleaner.
- Optional - Use strips of red, orange and. yellow tissue paper to create dragon 'fire' coming out of his mouth.
Pete’s Dragon Craft Idea
Elliot doing his best fire breathing dragon growl with our Elliot craft!
Stick Horse Dragon
Another fun idea is to leave the pool noodle long and create a sort of stick horse Pete’s Dragon, or pool noodle dragon! Maybe a great idea for a Halloween costume? Dress up as Pete and bring Elliot!
DIY Pool Noodle Dragons
My boys had fun making their own dragons with all the supplies I pulled out of my craft stash. DIY pool noodle dragons would be a fun birthday party or play date activity! These would make awesome party favors for younger boys and girls.
Don’t forget Pete’s Dragon arrives in theaters next weekend (August 12th)!!!
More Pete’s Dragon Crafts And Activities
Here’s some more ideas to celebrate Dragon’s Day or during a Pete’s Dragon themed birthday party.
- Rice Krispie Dragon Treats
- Printable Pete’s Dragon Bookmarks
- Pete’s Dragon Coloring Pages
- Pete’s Dragon Pumpkin
- More Pete’s Dragon Themed Food and Party Ideas
This post was originally published August 6, 2016.