Aaron Taylor-Johnson and Elizabeth Olsen are two of the new cast members to join the Avengers franchise in the latest movie Avengers: Age of Ultron. They play Wanda and Pietro Maximoff, also known as Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver. Check out this featurette for a quick introduction to their characters.
We sat down with Aaron Taylor-Johnson and Elizabeth Olsen during our Avengers Press trip to chat about their experience joining the Marvel Universe. Here’s a few things I learned during the interview:
1. Wanda and Pietro Maximoff are twins with powers that balance each other. Quicksilver is fast and quick tempered and Scarlet Witch is more grounded and thoughtful. Their own Yin and Yang situation, they really depend on each other.
2. Neither actor auditioned for their roles. Both Olsen and Taylor-Johnson spoke with Joss Whedon at some point before they started to filming Godzilla together. Eventually Joss asked them to play the parts of Wanda and Pietro Maximoff in the latest Avengers film.
3. Both felt their previous working relationship on Godzilla helped them transition more comfortably on to the Avengers: Age of Ultron set. They were joining an already established cast and crew as newcomers but they were already comfortable with each other, making the whole process easier.
4. Elizabeth Olsen was already a huge Marvel fan but she didn’t know anything about Scarlet Witch. To help Joss Whedon sent both Olsen and Taylor-Johnson a copy of every single comic book page their characters had ever been on for research.
5. Elizabeth worked with a movement coach rather than a stunt double. Scarlet Witch’s movements are fluid and very dance like unlike the rest of the characters in the film.
6. To create Quicksilver’s crazy fast running affect, Taylor-Johnson would film the scenes twice. Once where he would run up fast to the other actor, and complete their scene. Then he would shoot the scene again without the other person there. They would speed up that second take to create the fast action and blur that you see in the movie.
Avengers: Age of Ultron Opens in theaters May 1st
Don’t miss all of my Avengers: Age of Ultron Interviews:
- Thor & Captain America Interview
- Scarlet Witch & Quicksilver Interview
- Hawkeye & Maria Hill Interview
- Director Joss Whedon
- Producer Kevin Feige