This white bean and kale soup recipe has been a family favorite for many years. In fact my teenager who thinks pizza, hamburgers and chicken nuggets are the major food groups loves this soup! It’s a total home run recipe for us.
My dad used to work overseas and when he’d come home to visit, he’d buy out the grocery store with plans to feed an army before his trip ended. This benefited my family in two ways, we ate lots of yummy meals while my dad was here and then when he left, he’d leave all the extra groceries with us.
White Bean and Kale Soup
On one trip he left us kale and Pecorino Romano cheese, two things I’d never bought before. Soup is pretty forgiving so it seemed like the easiest thing to do was find a soup to utilize both kale and Romano cheese. I found several recipes that were simple but a Whole Foods recipe (no longer online) inspired my recipe the most.
White Bean and Kale Soup Recipe Ingredients
- extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 medium-sized onions, diced
- 6 minced cloves of garlic
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 4 cups packed chopped kale
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can cannellini beans (white kidney), drained and rinsed
- 2 cups sliced carrots (or baby carrots cut into thirds)
- ~ 1lb chicken sausage (omit or sub with soy crumbles to make soup vegetarian)
White Bean and Kale Soup Recipe
- Brown the sausage on medium heat, I used my new fancy pants Dutch oven
- Then add the onions and sauté, after a few minutes then add garlic
- Add broth, kale, tomatoes, and carrots and cover
- Let simmer for ~5 minutes until Kale is tender
- If necessary, add a couple of cups of extra water if broth seems low
- Add beans and simmer on low for at least 1 hour (add salt & pepper here if you like)
White Bean and Kale Soup Variations
- The extra water depends on how much liquid boils away, I always seem to add several cups as it simmers.
- Salt/pepper is really up to your taste.
- I’ve also doubled the beans, tomatoes and or kale on occasion.
- Top with crunchy croutons and grated Pecorino Romano cheese, YUM
- 21 Day Fix: 1 Cup = 1 Red, 1 Green 1/2 Yellow (or measure out ingredients) – Per a friend that follows this diet.
You could also make this in a crockpot for an easy weeknight meal. I’d wait to add the kale until the last hour to be sure it doesn’t overcook.
This recipe is awesome for us because it utilizes fresh ingredients and pantry items that we usually have on hand. I just have to pick up a bunch of kale and we are good to go.
More Soup Recipes
- Instant Pot Sausage, Kale and White Bean Soup <— Same soup but IP version
- Canned Black Bean Soup <– Great with quesadillas!
- Instant Pot Potato Soup
- Lots more Instant Pot Soup Recipes
This post was originally published January 5, 2012.
Leave a Reply