This white bean and kale soup recipe has been a family favorite for a couple of years.
White Bean and Kale Soup
On one trip he left us kale and pecorino romano cheese, two things I’d never bought before. Soup is pretty forgiving so it seemed like the easiest thing to do was find a soup to utilize both kale and romano cheese. I found several recipes that were simple, this recipe inspired mine recipe the most.
White Bean and Kale Soup Recipe
- Brown the sausage on medium heat, I used my new fancy pants Dutch oven
- Then add the onions and sauté, after a few minutes then add garlic
- Add broth, kale, tomatoes and carrots and cover
- Let simmer for ~5 minutes until Kale is tender
- If necessary, add a couple cups of extra water if broth seems low
- Add beans and simmer on low for at least 1 hour (add salt & pepper here if you like)
White Bean and Kale Soup Variations
- The extra water depends on how much liquid boils away, I always seem to add several cups as it simmers.
- Salt/pepper is really up to your taste.
- I’ve also doubled the beans, tomatoes and or kale on occasion.
- Top with crunchy croutons and grated Pecorino Romano cheese, YUM
- 21 Day Fix: 1 Cup = 1 Red, 1 Green 1/2 Yellow (or measure out ingredients)
You could also make this in a crockpot for an easy weeknight meal. I’d wait to add the kale until the last hour to be sure it doesn’t overcook.
This recipe is awesome for us because it utilizes fresh ingredients and pantry items that we usually have on hand. I just have to pick up a bunch of kale and we are good to go.
White Bean and Kale Soup Recipe Ingredients
- extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 medium-sized onions, diced
- 6 minced cloves of garlic
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 4 cups packed chopped kale
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can cannellini beans (white kidney), drained and rinsed
- 2 cups sliced carrots (or baby carrots cut into thirds)
- ~ 1lb chicken sausage (omit to make soup vegetarian)