It would be hard to top BB-8 as the coolest droid in the galaxy but D-0, the new droid we met in The Rise of Skywalker is pretty sweet. Ready for a new Star Wars craft project? Who wants to make their own D-0 droid craft?
How to Make a D-0 Craft
This D-0 droid craft is perfect for all levels of crafters from kids to adults. It’s basically made using white paper plates and duct tape and turns out super cute. If you are looking for a more extensive Star Wars droid craft project, check out my BB-8 paper lantern. It also utilizes duct tape (one of my favorite craft supplies) along with two large white paper lanterns!
Star Wars D-0 Droid Craft Idea
- White Paper Plates
- Green Duct Tape
- Silver Duct Tape
- Black Duct Tape
- White Duct Tape
- Parchment Paper
- Black Pipe Cleaners
- Use a paper plate to create D-O's cone head. Cut a section of the paper plate into a wide wedge and roll into a cone form. Staple in place.
- Cut the edge off two paper plates. Then staple them together, facing inward.
- Now you have the basic shape of the D-0 Droid Craft.
- Use another paper plate to create a small rectangular box to sit between D-0's cone head and circular body.
- Use white duct tape to attach your box between D-O's head and body.
- Add details to D-0 using duct tape. It's always easier to cut duct tape when it's attached to parchment paper.
- You can also draw a template on the parchment paper when cutting out specific details out of duct tape.
- We kept our level of detail simple but add as much detail as you would like with duct tape.
- Create D-0's antennas using black pipe cleaners attached inside the cone with white duct tape. I twisted two pipe cleaners together for each antenna. My pipe cleaners seemed flimsy.
- Add black and green duct tape to finish the outside of D-0's cone head.
- Done! You now have your very one D-0 Droid.
I used 8 1/2 inch paper plates for this project. Any similar sized plates should work well. Otherwise you may need to scale your project up or down a bit.
I hope you enjoyed this Star Wars craft project. And I’d love to see your version of it, if you make it!
Who is D-0?
D-0 is a droid we meet in Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker. BB-8 finds him powered down on Ochi’s ship, the Bestoon Legacy. BB-8 powers him back up and he nervously joins the Resistance.
Why does D-0 say ‘No Thank You’ to?
D-0 appears to be easily excitable and nervous. D-0 says ‘No Thank You’ twice in the movie. First he says it to Rey when he first meets her and she attempts to touch him. Rey guesses he’s been treated poorly in the past. D-0 says it again when he attempts to greet an Orbak who leans down and loudly brays at him.
More Star Wars Craft Ideas
This post was originally published June 3, 2020.