Celebrate back to school with this red donut holes recipe. It’s a fun breakfast treat on the first day of school or after school snack.
Seriously, where did the summer go? Time has flown by for us and I can’t believe Quinn goes back to school tomorrow!! We spent today enjoying the few last moments of summer break and also prepping for the 1st day of school!
I have a first day of school sign printed and ready for first day pictures tomorrow. Quinn picked out his 1st day of school outfit and helped packed his lunch. I think we are ready for tomorrow.
With back to school season here, there’s always fun new “school” related ideas to share from teacher gifts to special school lunches. I had a friend ask if we planned on doing a celebratory 1st day of school dinner or treat yesterday and honestly in all the craziness I hadn’t thought about it much.
Luckily these red apple donut holes are so easy to make and would make a fun breakfast on the first day of school or after school treat! They are semi-homemade using a can of refrigerated biscuits as a base. Heck you could even buy a box of donut holes at the bakery if you want to just decorate them – just don’t tell anyone. 😉
Red Apple Donut Holes Recipe Ingredients
All you need is a can of refrigerated biscuits, oil and cinnamon and sugar to make the donut holes. Then they are decorated to look like red apple using red melting chocolate, red sprinkles, pretzel sticks and green gummy candy (green Swedish fish).
Red Apple Donut Holes Recipe Directions
Break up each biscuit into 4 pieces and roll into balls then fry each ball in hot oil. Drain the donut holes on a paper towel and then drop into a plastic bag with cinnamon and sugar and mix.
Once the donut holes are made, add 1/2 pretzel sticks to the top of each one. Then spoon melted red chocolate melts over the top of each donut hole. Add green leaves (cut from gummy candy) and add to apple stem before the coating dries. Love sugar? Add red sprinkles on top for an extra sparkly red apple look.
I think these would make a fun treat to drop off in the office for teachers and staff as well! Do you celebrate the first day of school with a special breakfast or after school snack?
- Heat vegetable oil to 335 degrees.
- Add sugar and cinnamon into a ziplock or paper bag.
- Divide each biscuit into 4 pieces and roll into balls.
- Drop each ball into the hot oil and fry for around 90 seconds or until golden brown.
- Remove the donut holes and drain on a paper towel for one minute.
- Drop in paper bag and shake to coat evenly with the cinnamon sugar mixture.
- Place the sugared donut holes on a baking sheet lined with parchment or wax paper. Insert 1/2 pretzel stick into the top of each donut hole to resemble an apple stem.
- Microwave 1/2 cup of the red Wilton chocolate melts for 30 seconds. Remove from microwave and keep stirring until completely melted. Let set for 1 minute to thicken.
- Spoon the melted chocolate over each donut hole.
- Cut out leaf shapes from the green Swedish fish candies and push into the top of each donut hole before the coating dries.
- Optional: sprinkle with red sprinkles
Fun Donut Ideas
This post was originally published August 5, 2015.