Are you planning on throwing a Star Wars themed baby shower? I’ve got the cutest (and easiest) Star Wars diaper cake idea to share!
We might have went a little BB-8 crazy around here after meeting him in Star Wars: The Force Awakens. When my sister-in-law chose a Star Wars baby shower theme, I knew I had to help with some simple DIY projects like a BB-8 diaper cake.
Star Wars Diaper Cake Idea
This StarWars diaper cake idea was my favorite project for this party. Tiny baby things mixed with geeky Star Wars ideas, it’s the perfect mix for this Star Wars lovin’ mama! This BB-8 is much easier than my cactus diaper cake and a tad more detailed than my mickey mouse diaper cake. It’s perfect!
Today I am sharing how to turn everyone’s favorite droid, BB-8 into an adorable diaper cake. A BB-8 diaper cake is a perfect centerpiece for a fun Star Wars baby shower.
BB-8 Diaper Cake Supplies
The BB-8 shape is actually very easy to recreate as a diaper cake. Just grab a few basic supplies and follow the simple steps I’ve detailed below.
BB-8 Diaper Cake Tutorial
You will see how easy it is to create the BB8 droid shape out of diapers and then decorate it to complete the look.
- 40-50 newborn diapers
- wide orange ribbon
- thin grey ribbon
- orange and black craft foam/construction paper
- glue dots
- black and white pipe cleaners
- white onesie
- white burp cloth
- silver duct tape
- Springform or round cake pan
- Roll 10 diapers into tight bundles and secure with a rubber band. Roll from the top down for a cleaner look. Set aside.
- Create BB-8 diaper cake body by layering diapers on the inside edge of the pan. Keep them in the same direction for a consistent design.
- Continue adding diapers until only one rolled diaper fits in the center.
- Secure the base using one or two extra large rubber bands and remove from pan.
- Cover top of BB-8 base with plain white burp cloth and secure with a rubber band. Folding and tucking the cloth where necessary to create a clean look.
- Cut out a basic BB-8 design out of orange craft foam and secure to the top of the base using glue dots.
- Create BB-8 diaper cake head using a cardboard base. Cut out a length of cardboard slight shorter than 4 rolled diapers. Cover the cardboard in silver duct tape.
- Place 4 diaper rolls on top of cardboard, then 3 diaper rolls, then 2 diaper rolls. You are creating a pyramid of sorts on top of the cardboard. Secure design with rubber band.
- Cover top of the BB-8 head with a white onesie. Fold and tuck onesie around diapers before securing with a rubber band.
- Use gray ribbon, strips of orange craft foam and black construction paper to create the details on BB-8’s head. Tuck tucked the length of foam and ribbon in place, underneath the rubber band, I used glue dots to lightly tack them in place.
- Wrap a small piece of black pipe cleaner around the top of a white pipe cleaner to create BB-8 antenna. Tuck the other end under a rubber band on top of BB-8's head.
- Wrap wide orange ribbon around BB-8's body and head to hide the rubber bands.
To easily move the diaper cake around, I set it on top of a large piece of foam board. I covered the board in paper that coordinated with the baby shower colors.
Star Wars Diaper Cake Centerpiece
That’s it! It turned out pretty cute, huh?!
This post was originally published in August 2016 and has been updated to improve the tutorial details.