Who needs Halloween costume ideas? It’s never too early to start looking for costume ideas, especially if you want dress up in a family theme like we do. Thankfully there is plenty of costume inspiration from Disney Plus.
I’ve rounded up some of my favorite family costume themes inspired by Disney+ movies and shows. Remember the key to a good family costume theme is a movie or show with plenty of characters to choose from, that way everyone has options.
Costume Inspiration from Disney Plus
1. Star Wars: There are plenty of Star Wars movies and shows available on Disney+ to chose from. We’ve made a Jyn Erso costume from Rogue One, a Ezra Bridger costume from Star Wars Rebels, plus a BB-8 costume and Poe Dameron costume from The Force Awakens.
2. The Simpsons: We haven’t made any Simpsons costumes yet but I wouldn’t put it past us. The boys love visiting Springfield at Universal Orlando and in Hollywood. There is an almost unlimited variety of characters from the show to choose from.
3. Phineas and Ferb: Another show my boys love is Phineas and Ferb. There are 4 seasons and a couple movies to chose from on Disney+. Plus a new movie, Phineas and Ferb The Movie: Candace Against the Universe will be available later this summer.
4. Toy Story: There are 4 Toy Story movies to choose from plus a few animated shorts to watch for costume inspiration. Our DIY Forky costume was very popular last year, and I loved the
Keanu Reeves, I mean Duke Caboom costume as well. Toy Story disneybounding is a fun low-key group costume idea.
5. Inside Out: There aren’t as many characters in Inside Out but they are all quite memorable. We went as Bing Bong, Anger, Fear and Riley’s imaginary boyfriend to Mickey’s Halloween Party one year. Additional Inside Out characters to consider include Joy, Sadness, Riley, Riley’s mom, Riley’s dad, Jangles, Rainbow Unicorn, and the Mean Girls.
6. Monsters Inc: Both Monsters Inc and Monsters University are available on Disney+ and they offer some cute Halloween costume options. Check out our simple Mike and Sulley costumes for inspiration
7. DuckTales: DuckTales is another awesome show with lots of characters to chose from, bonus points on the nostalgia factor for me. You can watch the original DuckTales, the reboot DuckTales series and a couple of DuckTales movies on Disney+. Our family costume theme was Duck Tales last year, we chose to go with the reboot version. The Beagle Boys costume is one our easiest costumes ever.
8. Onward: This fun new movie from Pixar can inspire quite a few fanciful costume ideas. I’d love to see a Manticore costume. We have plans for a Barley costume soon, we’ve already have our own DIY Barley shirt ready to go.
9. Thor: Marvel superheroes is a pretty large category which works for a group costume theme but you can make it more fun by narrowing it down to just a Thor costume theme. There are three different Thor movies, plus other Marvel movies that Thor is also in. Thor’s look varies in each one, some quite dramatically. Let everyone dress up as a different Thor, like Ragnarok Thor or Fat Thor, plus add in additional Thor movie characters like Loki, Heimdall, Valkyrie, Hela, and Sif and you have quite a few Thor costume options.
10. Frozen: I had to include a princess option for all the families with little girls, so I chose Frozen. Although there are plenty of other Disney princess options on Disney+ too. We’ve never made an Anna or Elsa costume but we do have an adorable Olaf costume to help with your Frozen costume theme.
Did I miss any other ideas for costume inspiration from Disney+ movies and shows?